St Marks Coventry

The former St. Mark's Church is a Grade II listed building inCoventry. It was built in the Gothic Revival style in 1868 by architects Paul and Robinson.
The building ceased to be a Church in 1972 and between 1973 and 2006 was used as the Outpatients Department of Coventry and Warwickshire Hospital, when the hospital was relocated to Walsgrave as part of the University Hospital. The hospital site eventually closed and the building lay empty. The building is owned by Coventry Diocese.
The most notable feature of the building is a large mural on what was originally the east window of the Church. The window was bricked up following Wartime bomb damage and in 1962/63 the Church commissioned German émigré artist Hans Feibusch to paint a large mural, entitled Ascension.
Feibusch was a famous Jewish artist and was the last surviving artist who was included on Goebal's infamous list of "degenerate artists". He emigrated to Britain and painted murals in Churches and Civic buildings around the country. He died in 1998 at the age of 99.
Feibusch's work is now recognised as being of national importance. In 2011 a formal request to English Heritage to amend the listing to include the mural and revise other details of the listing was submitted. This was approved by the Secretary of State for Culture, Leisure and Sport in January 2013.
In March 2017 it was announced that the building was to be restored and re-opened.