Palladian Church, Ayot St Lawrence by Colin Gough

Palladian Church, Ayot St Lawrence

Built in 1778, the church is in a field in Ayot St Lawrence, some eight miles north of St Albans, and only around 25 miles north of central London. Although called the Palladian Church it is in fact Greek revival style. Commissioned by Sir Lionel Lyde who envisaged it as both a parish church and a mausoleum for him and his wife however their marriage was not happy and they are buried apart in the pavillions at each end of the church.