Český Krumlov is a town in the South Bohemian Region of the Czech Republic. Its a historic town around the Český Krumlov Castle, which has been a designated UNESCO World Heritage Site since 1992. The settlement arose beneath the castle, which was built from about 1240 onwards by a local branch of the noble Vítkovci family, descendants of Witiko of Prčice. The fortress was first mentioned in a 1253 deed as Chrumbenowe. After the First World War, the city was part of the Bohemian Forest Region which was initially declared to be part of German-Austria. By the end of 1918 the Czechoslovak army had occupied the region, which became part of Czechoslovakia. In 1938 it was annexed by Nazi Germany, as part of the Reichsgau Oberdonau unit of Sudetenland under the Munich agreement. After World War II the town's long-standing German-speaking population was expelled and the town was returned to Czechoslovakia.