Sligo Abbey, County Sligo, Ireland
With the only sculptured 15th century high altar to survive in any Irish monastic church, Sligo Abbey was originally built in 1253.
Burned down during a fire in 1414, the rebuilt Abbey again suffered damage during the 1641 Rebellion at which time the Friars decided to remove the Abbey's silver bell for safekeeping. Unfortunately, the bell fell into nearby Lough Gill. Local legend still maintains that only those pure of heart can hear the bell toll.
Such was the impact of Sligo Abbey on William Butler Yeats, the author even mentioned the site in two of his stories, 'The Crucifixion of the Outcast', and 'The Curse of the Fires and of the Shadows'.