Alcazaba Teatro Romano
The El Teatro Romano is the oldest monument in Málaga, Spain. It is situated at the foot of the famous Alcazaba fortress and is one of the only Ancient ruins left in Málaga after the outwardly Republican city was bombed by Nationalist sympathizers - the Italian army during the Civil war, and one of the only remaining Roman ruins in Andalucía after centuries of warfare, and construction.
The theatre was built in the first century BC, under Emperor Augustus, and was used until the third century AD. Subsequently it was left to ruin for centuries, until the Moors settled in Andalucía. In 756-780AD the amphitheatre was used as a quarry by the Moorish settlers , to excavate the stone used to build the Alcazaba fortress. Over time it became buried under dirt and rubble, and remained hidden there for almost five centuries.
The theatre was rediscovered in 1951, when the construction of Casa de Cultura uncovered the first archaeological clues. Once the site had been fully excavated, a large scale restoration project began and finished after 27 years in 2011.