THis is the monument to Ralph of Shrewsbury, Bishop of Bath and Wells (d. 1363). It is a very finely carved alabaster monument that has had much graffiti carved into over the years.
perhaps this shows how history changes our views on individuals.
Ralph of Shrewsbury was clearly very highly regarded. The monument is one of the earliest surviving alabaster monuments in the cathedral. this monument was originally in a place of high honour in the middle of the choir before the high altar but was moved to the north aisle in the early eighteenth century and then suffered the graffiti we see today. How have the mighty fallen?