Fort Frederick State Park
Built by the colony of Maryland in 1756-57, Fort Frederick is the only stone fort built by a British colony during the French and Indian War. It was used as a prisoner of war camp for British soldiers during the American Revolution, a Union camp site during the American Civil War, and its walls were reconstructed in the 1930's by the Civilian Conservation Corps. About 70% of its walls are original and various living history activites take place during the spring, summer, and fall. This photo features the uniqueness of the forts stone walls as well as its flag. As far as records show, this flag was only flown at Fort Frederick and features the British Union in its canton and the Calvert Family coat of arms in its field signifying that this fort is British Maryland.